Wednesday 5 February 2014

A Road Less Travelled

All of my past and future blogs are now posted on my new website Born at the Right Time.


It's amazing to think that 2004 was 10 years ago. 

In that year Tony Blair was Prime minister, the Olympics were held in Athens and the actor Christopher Reeve died. It was also the year that I set off with my husband for a slightly delayed 'gap year'. First travelling to Uganda, to work as a doctor and nurse (sticking with the stereotypes) in a small clinic in the capital Kampala.  

Then, we next worked in Gisborne General for a couple of months, before travelling around New Zealand. As we loaded our backpacks for the journey home we heard news of the devastating Indian Ocean earthquake that rocked Indonesia and the world. The ensuing Tsunami was of incomprehensible magnitude, killing over a quarter of a million people.

On the final leg of our trip we experienced some of the sights, smells and tastes of Australia and Thailand. When we alighted the plane in London, we were greeted by UK officials checking that no one on board had been in Thailand on Boxing Day. It was a stark reminder that while we were exploring and enjoying life, for many the world had changed immeasurably and forever.

Within a year our own lives experienced a tectonic shift with catastrophic consequences. On 12th October 2005 our son was born limp and not breathing, leaving him with severe brain damage (Cerebral Palsy). 

My heart broke, my emotions raged, my God seemed silent and my world began shrinking. 

Eight years later I continue to feel as though I live in the aftermath of that day, with his growing body showing the life long consequences of being starved of oxygen.

 My life is unrecognisable from the dreams I once had, with the challenges of each day greater than I ever imagined. 

At times I feel I am held in the shadow lands of another world unknown to many; with my precious, beautiful, little boy and the relentless, persistent burden of loving and caring for him.

I am on a journey and road most people are sheltered from and oblivious to. It is as though I now travel through life carrying a permanent backpack.

Some people dont notice my burden, while others look the other way by saying,

              Hes such a happy boy; isnt he lovely?” 

Then there are friends who think they know exactly what my rucksack contains and what it is like to carry it. 

But they are mistaken. 
This backpack is unique to me and mothers like me.   

The weight of this backpack I carry changes. 
When I go to the park it is loaded down with the disappointment of not getting to enjoy the slide; when at the beach its sadness at missing out on the ice cream. 

When holding my son Im weighed down with the grief of knowing he cannot see my face or hold me in return. 

My backpack contains the pain of my own missed dreams and never hearing my son say 'Mum'.

During days with nieces and nephews it digs into my shoulders and throbs with the ache of fantasies about what could have been. 

On days out I'm crippled by places that are inaccessible and facilities that are inadequate. Every day my rucksack is plagued with sleep deprivation, the heavy labour of lifting and doing everything and anything my son requires.

With time and training I carry my backpack a little more easily. I regularly examine its contents and make sure there isn't anything in there I cant remove. Yet there are days it is heavy and cumbersome, making life feel broken and shackled. 

But I have hope; hope from the beauty of a mosaic, created out of shattered tiles.

I hope that as I piece together the shattered elements of my life and dreams they can be fashioned into something more elegant and beautiful than their broken parts.

27 comments:

Bec said...

This bought tears to my eyes, thankyou for sharing! Heartbreaking but beautiful insight to the life of caring for a child with additional needs. Keep going xxxx

Pops said...

With a grand daughter who has CP we understand just what its like and our daughter and son-in-law along with the 2 siblings deal with the daily things in a fantastic way. Its non-stop requiring total commitment and love of course. Harriet is a beautiful soul who clearly is aware and happy but its heartbreaking at times to see and the situation often brings tears to our eyes but the dedication and love shown by her Mum,Dad and brother and sister is inspiring. Never under estimate the power of love.

Peter D said...

Thank you for guiding and making it more understandable to us. Love and prayers.

Anonymous said...

I find this quite obnoxious. I am the parent of a young person who was starved of oxgen at birth and has severe cerebral palsy. I have NEVER called her a burden. Yes, it can be bloody hard work at times but, if you really find it so hard, why not put him up for adoption. There are disabled people around happy to adopt disabled children and give them a positive feeling about their impairments. On balance, bringing up my daughter has been a joy. (Though she can be a pain in the arse at times.) Ugh, the emotions behind words like "weighed down with the grief" will be picked up by your son, whatever his cognitive level. My daugher was deeply upset by your words, as would be any other disabled child who sees it.

Born at the Right Time said...

I am sorry for causing offence. I'm not justifying my reaction but expressing the difficulties I have; the good, the bad and the ugly. The grief I feel is not towards my son I would not have my life differently but that doesn't mean it isn't incredibly hard. Easy isn't necessarily best. I wish you and your daughter all the best. Feel free not to read any of my future blogs.

Phil and Jo said...

Thank you for this - honestly beautiful. Love to the family x

Anonymous said...

I am the daughter of the commenter, I do understand where you are coming from but if your son reads that and it makes him think he is a burden. how would it make him feel?

Anonymous said...

" On days out I'm crippled by places that are inaccessible and facilities that are inadequate. Every day my rucksack is plagued with sleep deprivation, the heavy labour of lifting and doing everything and anything my son requires."

absolutely love this (how you have written it and I feel the same). is the burden your son or society? I would like to talk to you if you want

Anonymous said...

A beautiful heartfelt and honest piece of writing.

love to you, T & your family.
arif x

Mark Hooks said...

I find it hard to understand how calling a difficult situation a burden is any different from saying it is bloody hard work or that the individual is a pain in the arse at times. It is quite obnoxious to suggest, just by reading a few paragraphs, that a child be put up for adoption.

Rachel please do not allow this anonymous individual's opinion alter or influence your future blogs as you have, and will continue to, positively touch so many hearts.

Hannah said...

You're an inspiration to me, daily. The way you live your life as an adoring and devoted mother and wife and a caring friend to so many.


Your words of honesty are refreshing in a online vacuum of fakery and nastiness.

Your words speak of pain and struggle, but moreover your words speak of love and devotion to your son. Your actions however show of how you are a true servant

Big respect and lots of love x

Anonymous said...

if she is a loving mother, why she didn't thought how upsetting this could be to her son, he isn't what she wants!!

Hannah said...

I'm not going to engage in an online argument with someone who hasn't met either Rachel or her son. If you had, you wouldn't question her love or whether its what she wants.

As for her son being able to read this blog I think Rachel would be overjoyed if he could- as that would mean he could see words, but moreover he would be able to see her face.

Anonymous said...

sorry sorry I don't want to hurt anyone I am sure Rachel loves her son

beth said...

Rachel your an amazing mother to that beautiful boy dont let anyone say different it is hard work and anyone would feel how you do if they were in the same boat! His such a loving child and his perfect in our eyes! God bless xx

Sue Hooks said...

If there's one thing I can't stand, it's obnoxious anonymous bloggers. Rachel you are a fantastic, loving mum to an amazing child with exceptional needs. Keep blogging xx

KatiePslt said...

Rachel,
You are amazingly brave, both everyday and by writing this so publicly. I think if anyone wants to follow your journey as you reveal more through this carefully written blog, they will come to know, respect and admire you and your wonderful family.
God bless, and big hugs to all xxxxxxxxx

Sue said...

I have read both blog entries posted and was moved by how honestly you write. Look forward to reading more from you. From what I know this little boy and your family are surrounded by love

Isla said...

Thank you for sharing your blog Rachel gives great insight. For those that have negative comments its Rachel's blog to express how she feels. Rachel shows great love too both her sons. Rachel would do anything for both her sons. Xxx

Anonymous said...

Profound and honest to the core, may God Bless you and your family and may he always hold you very close.

Born at the Right Time said...

Feel free to email me at bornatthewrighttime@gmail.com. Thank you for your comment.

Anonymous said...

Rachel loves her son more then you can understand this is why it breaks her heart that he cannot do the things that children his age normally do, I'm sure you understand how hard it is and she is the bravest and most caring person I have ever met, her son is a happy boy because of all the love that surrounds him,

Anonymous said...

This is so well written on so many levels. Without doubt this us how God is choosing to use you x

Unknown said...

In your opinion and everyone is entitled to say how they feel you lucky your daughter can read and understand I cried when I read it as I understand on a daily basis what my grandson and daughter go through

Unknown said...

Don't apologise on you honest opinion my daughter and her partner are on the same path as you and every word you wrote I felt it x x

Unknown said...

Don't apologise on you honest opinion my daughter and her partner are on the same path as you and every word you wrote I felt it x x

Born at the Right Time said...

Thank you for your comment, Kimberley. I haven't blogged on blogger for a long time. I now blog at www.bornattherighttime.co.uk. I have recently published a book about becoming the mum of a severely disabled son called 'The Skies I'm Under', you can buy it on Amazon. Thanks again, Rachel